Wednesday 05 June 2019
Cinema Teatro di Chiasso
On the occasion of the centenary of Max Huber’s birth, a public evening will be held in commemoration of the great graphic artist: jazz pieces dear to him will be interspersed with readings and memories by Alberto Nessi. This will be followed by refreshments kindly offered to all present.
Max Huber was born at Baar, in the Canton of Zug, on 5 June 1919. He graduated from the Kunstgewerbeschule, in Zurich where he followedAlfred Willimann’s lessons with particular enthusiasm. During this period he met Werner Bischof, Emil Schultess, Josef Müller-Brockmann, Carlo Vivarelli, Hans Falk, Hans Neuburg and Max Bill. Eager for new experiences, in 1940 he found work in Milan at the prestigious graphic studio of Antonio Boggeri, where he met and worked with Bruno Munari, Luigi Veronesi and Albe Steiner. After only a year he returns to Switzerland due to the difficult political situation. Subsequently Max Bill summoned himto be part of the Allianz group, the association of modern Swiss artists at the head of the “Concrete” current, which included HansArp and Richard Paul Lohse. In October 1945 he returned to Milan and with Albe Steinercreated the graphic design for the 8th Triennale in 1947. On that occasion he came to knowGiulio Einaudi, who put him in charge of graphic design at his publishing house. In the sameyear Max Bill entrusted him with the task of creating the graphic design of the catalogue of the exhibition Abstract and Concrete Art curated by Max Bill with Lanfranco Bombelli Tiravanti at thePalazzo Reale in Milan. In 1949, also in theLombardcapital, Max Huber joined the Concrete Art Movement founded by Gillo Dorfles, Gianni Monnet, Bruno Munari and Atanasio Soldati and participated in the group’s fourth graphic portfolio.
Subsequently, starting in the 1950s, he distinguished himself in the corporate graphics sector. In this field, his new logo for La Rinascente department store, as well as those for Nava and the Esselunga supermarket chain are memorable. Also in this period he began an intense partnership with the architect-designers Piergiacomo and Achille Castiglioni, creating the graphic design of numerous exhibitions andpavilions for RAI, ENI and Montecatini (later Montedison). Public accoladessoon arrived and in 1954 he received the Italian “Compasso d’Oro” awarded for the design of a plastic fabric. Also memorable was his long and continuous work as a teacher that began in Milan in 1947 at the Rinascita school and continued from 1959 to 1962 at the Umanitaria. It was then resumed in the 1970s with his work at the Scuola Politecnica di Design conducted by Bruno Munari with Nino Di Salvatore. From 1978 to 1984 Max Huber brought his educational experience to Switzerland by teaching graphic design at the CSIA – Centro Scolastico Industrie Artistichein Lugano. He died in Mendrisio on 16 November 1992.
The cultural contribution of Max Huber’s artistic research, especially in the field of graphic design, developed around an interest in abstract composition and inspired by the experiences of the European avant-gardes, qualifies as a contribution of international importance.
At the Centro Ovale in Chiasso(level –1), 4 minutes walk from the m.a.x. museo, on presenting the parking ticket to the m.a.x. museo.